Dog Food Recipes
Dog Food Recipes
Making food for your dog is not difficult. Varying the ingredients is a good way to keep your dog interested. Using different meats is a good way to change up this recipe. We’ve used chicken, turkey, pork and beef. We’ve had customers use bison, bear, venison and other wild game. Adding organ meats such as liver, tongue and kidney is also a way to get added nutrition into your dog’s diet.
Why Feed Homemade?
Commercial pet food alerts and recalls continue to rise so making homemade dog food for your dog is a great alternative, not to mention all the benefits of feeding a human grade, "whole food", "real food" to your dog! So take a look at our easy homemade dog food recipe and be encouraged! Your dog will thank you!
Lots of Feeding Options
There are many ways to feed your dog...and every owner must make the best choices for their pet. This is one of the recipes I feed to my pack (3 dogs ranging in size from 10 lbs. to 100 lbs and ranging in age from 1 to 15 years old).
You Can Do It
I'm confident YOU too can make homemade dog food for your dog! So, watch the video then read through the ingredients and instructions below. And, as always, don't hesitate to contact a Dinovite Success Coach at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 859-428-1000!
5 Simple Ingredients:
Small Batch Recipe
The video shows a Small Batch Recipe, resulting in 20-21 cups of homemade dog food. To make the recipe in the video use:
5 lbs. of ground beef
5 cups cooked and cooled white rice
9 hard boiled eggs with the shells, cooled
1-2 cups of Dinovite for Dogs powdered supplement
4 oz. LickOchops or SuprOmega (half a bottle)
Large Batch Recipe
This recipe makes approximately 40-42 cups of homemade dog food. To make a “large batch” of the recipe, use:
10 lbs. of ground beef
10 cups cooked and cooled white rice
18 hard boiled eggs with the shells, cooled
2-4 cups of Dinovite for Dogs powdered supplement
8 oz. LickOchops or SuprOmega (1 bottle)
- Just about any meat can be used in this recipe. We use ground beef as one example.
- You can control the amount of carbs your dog consumes by cutting back on the amount of rice in your homemade dog food recipe. We would not recommend using more than is listed in the recipe but you can certainly use less.
- Cooked eggs are used with the shells pulverized to provide calcium. You can crust them by hand or put the eggs through a food processor. If you do not want to use eggshells, you can use FidOcal, our calcium supplement instead.
- As you will be handling raw meat, please use common sense and standard raw meat safety precautions in your kitchen when making, storing or serving this food. If you are concerned about raw meat for any reason, you can simply cook the meat and cool it completely before assembling your homemade dog food. Heat will destroy the delicate nutrients in Dinovite so make sure all ingredients are room temp or cooler before adding Dinovite.
Most dogs will consume about the same amount of this food as they would a commercial dog food, maybe a little less. So if your dog normally eats about 1 cup of dog food per day, that would be a good amount of homemade dog food to feed him. Then watch his weight over the first 15-30 days and adjust as needed.
Introducing New Dog Food:
- Day 1: Fast your dog for 24 hours prior to starting him on this diet. Combining commercial food and the new diet may cause digestive issues.
- Day 2: Feed your dog about 1/4 the amount he would normally eat.
- Day 3: Feed your dog about 1/2 the amount he would normally eat.
- Day 4: Feed your dog about 3/4 the amount he would normally eat.
- Day 5: Feed your dog his normal amount of food.
Approximate Serving Sizes
- 10 lb. dog – 1/2 cup daily
- 20 lb. dog – 1 cup daily
- 40 lb. dog – 2 cups daily
- 60 lb. dog – 3 cups daily
- 80 lb. dog – 3 1/2 – 4 cups daily
- 100 lb. dog – 4-6 cups daily
If your dog begins to get too thin, feed him more food. If your dog begins to put on unwanted extra weight, cut back on his portion.
This recipe is specifically written and will be deficient without the supplements included.
- For finicky dogs feed: Dinovite for Dogs + LickOchops
- For skin support feed: Dinovite for Dogs + SuprOmega
Storing Dog Food:
Put 2-3 days worth of homemade dog food in zip lock bags or plastic freezer containers and freeze. You can also make individual patties or meatballs in single daily servings, freeze them on cookie sheets, remove when frozen and store in larger bags/containers once individually frozen. Thaw as needed.
Yeast Starvation Recipe
For dogs that are dealing with systemic yeast issues (stinky skin, paw licking, flaky skin, ear issues, etc.), we recommend feeding a homemade dog food that does not contain any carbs or starches. CLICK HERE for our Carb Free Homemade Dog Food recipe.