Homemade Dog Food
Making homemade dog food is not difficult. In fact, if you can make meatloaf or follow a recipe, you can make homemade dog food. Commercial pet food scares and recalls continue to rise so making homemade dog food for your dog is a great alternative, not to mention all the benefits of feeding a human grade, "whole food", "real food" to your dog! So take a look at our easy homemade dog food recipe and be encouraged! There are many ways to feed your dog and every owner must make the best choices for their pet. This is one of the recipes I feed to my pack (4 dogs ranging in size from 7 lbs. to 45 lbs. and ranging in age from 2 to 9 years old).
You Can Do It
I'm confident YOU too can make homemade dog food for your dog! Watch the video then read through the ingredients and instructions below. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact a Pet Nutrition Coach at email@example.com or call 859-428-1000!
5 Simple Ingredients:
- 10 lbs of raw ground beef (70/30 is a good choice for most dogs.)
- 18 hard boiled eggs including the shells-cooled (The shells provide calcium for your dog. You can crush them by hand, like in the video or put the entire hard boiled egg through your food processor to pulverize the shells. Without the shells, your dog can develop a calcium deficiency.) If you don't want to use the egg shell we do have a calcium/magnesium supplement called Fidocal. You can use Fidocal instead of the egg shells.
- 10 cups of cooked white rice (This is made from 5 cups of uncooked rice.)
- One 8 oz. tube of LickOchops Omega Fatty Acid Supplement (for finicky dogs) OR one 8 oz. tube of SuprOmega Fish Oil (for skin support)
- 2 to 4 cups of Dinovite for Dogs. (If your dog is miserable, adding more Dinovite for Dogs to your dog's diet is a great idea.)
Dinovite for Dogs (powder)
Each size of Dinovite contains different amounts of supplement, so please purchase accordingly. Dinovite for Small Dog contain 5 1/2 cups of supplement. Dinovite for Medium Dog contains 11 1/4 cups of supplement. Dinovite for Large Dog contains 16 3/4 cups of supplement. Dinovite for Giant Dog contains 22 1/2 cups of supplement.
Most dogs will consume about the same amount of this food as they would a commercial dog food, maybe a little less. If your dog normally eats about 1 cup of dog food per day, that would be a good amount of homemade dog food to feed him. Watch his weight over the first 15-30 days and adjust as needed.
Introducing Homemade Dog Food:
Day 1: Fast your dog for 24 hours prior to starting him on this diet. Combining commercial food and the new diet may cause digestive issues. Day 2: Feed your dog about 1/4 the amount he would normally eat. Day 3: Feed your dog about 1/2 the amount he would normally eat. Day 4: Feed your dog about 3/4 the amount he would normally eat. Day 5: Feed your dog his normal amount of food.
Approximate Serving Sizes
- 10 lb. dog – 1/2 cup daily
- 20 lb. dog – 1 cup daily
- 40 lb. dog – 2 cups daily
- 60 lb. dog – 3 cups daily
- 80 lb. dog – 3 1/2 – 4 cups daily
- 100 lb. dog – 4-6 cups daily If your dog begins to get too thin, feed him more food. If your dog begins to put on unwanted extra weight, cut back on his portion.
- Please Note: This recipe is specifically written and will be deficient without the supplements included. For finicky dogs feed: Dinovite + LickOchops For skin support feed: Dinovite + SuprOmega
Storing Homemade Dog Food:
- Put 2-3 days worth of homemade dog food in zip lock bags or plastic freezer containers and freeze. You can also make individual patties or meatballs in single daily servings, freeze them on cookie sheets, remove when frozen and store in larger bags/containers once individually frozen. Thaw as needed.
NOTE: Remember you are handling raw meat so use common sense when making, storing and serving this food. Use the same precautions you would use when handling raw meat for your family. If at any time you are concerned about raw meat, simply cook and cool the meat before adding to this recipe.